Looking back, it’s been a great year for the sport in Ithaca. Thanks, in great part, to all of you. Our ‘season’ generally goes into hibernation over the holidays to emerge in early winter with a series of charity events called ‘Ice Bowl’s. With the tagline of no wimps, no whiners you can imagine some of the extreme weather golf experienced around the country. Last year this charity series raised over $100k nationally for local foodbanks. Look for information next year about events that will be held in Rochester and Corning.
Some significant accomplishments
- The Leadership Tompkins program adopts Disc Golf as one of their team projects.
- The PDGA awarded the area with a $30k commitment to create Steam, an organization that will serve as the governing body for college competition and coordinating body for community-based disc golf clubs. The National Club Championships will start here in 2008.
- The Charity City Championships hosted 13 community teams and raised $1,600 for the Big Brother / Big Sister Charity..
- The 2005 ACES Series, created by DiscIthaca, hosted over 200 regional players, raise $1,000 for the winning club and raised $280 for the Cancer Society.
- Temporary courses were installed at Belle Sherman elementary and Cornell University.
- Discussions are underway for permanent course installations at Cornell University and Ithaca College.
- TC3 Approved our first permanent course